Monday, October 20, 2014

Stop the Music (Warning: This is a Rant)

 
I've noticed an increasing and disturbing trend at some obstacle races this year, and it really stuck out at September's Vermont Beast. And it needs to stop. Now.


I didn't run the Beast until the second open heat at 8:30, so I'm sure this isn't something you see in the elite fields. But, among us mortals, I'm seeing this trend of people carrying their own music on long courses. Not earbuds, mind you, so only they can heart it. We're talking about actual speakers so everyone in their group - and all of us around them - can hear it.

This was not one mud-running MC. But several.

Now I know this isn't a big deal in the scheme of things. In every case I was able to pass them quickly. (You could tell they weren't top-notch racers . . . not because of their pace, but because THEY WERE PLAYING MUSIC.) And I know I'm running the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man barking that "in my day, we didn't play music on the course; we listened to the sound of racers bitching - and we liked it!" But seriously people, especially at the Vermont Beast, you're running a freakin' race. This isn't your dance club. Hell, it isn't even Planet Fitness. None of us want to listen to your Imagine Dragons playlist.

Just because they make mud-resistant speakers doesn't mean you should bring them on your obstacle race. Leave the music at home. Listen to the sound of your feet squishing in the mud. Talk and commiserate with your fellow racers; there's some really awesome people out there. But please - PLEASE - don't be that guy or gal carrying the mini boom-box on the course. Both your etiquette and your taste in music will be judged harshly.

No comments:

Post a Comment